慣用語第三集/Phrases III

第一個慣用語是"Bend over backwards",是使盡全力去達成某事,時常用在幫某人事物。

He bent over backwards to help those in need.
他使盡全力幫助那些需要幫助的。

Bite your tongue, 是忍住不說的意思。

Sometimes, you just have to bite your tongue. It's not good to always say what's on your mind.
有時候, 你就是得忍住不說. 總是把你心理想的事說出來是不好的。

Crack someone up, 是使某人大笑起來。

He cracks people up sometimes.
他有時會令人大笑起來。

Every cloud has a silver lining,是指你可以在每件不好的事裡得到收穫。

It's unfortunate that things didn't happen the way you wanted, but don't lose hope. Every cloud has a silver lining.
很不幸的,事情沒有遇你所期, 但不要失去希望。你可以在每個不好的事裡得到收穫。

Go for broke, 是不顧一切得全力以赴。

I decided to go for broke and start a new business.
我決定全力以赴得去做一個新的生意。

Think on your feet,是思維敏捷。

In order to accomplish the mission, every team member needs to think on his or her feet.
為了要達成任務, 每一個成員需思維敏捷。

Hold your horses 是別著急。

Hold your horses! The shop will not be open until noon.

別著急, 店面要到中午才開。

Keep your chin up, 是打起精神來或是別灰心的意思。

Although you lost the first round, you still have two more rounds to go. Keep your chin up!
雖然 你輸了第一回合, 還有兩個回合。 別灰心!

Cheer up是開心一點的意思。

Things are not as bad as you think, so cheer up!
事情沒你想像的那麼糟, 開心一點吧!

Off the record 是不供發表的意思。

This is off the record, but I disagree with my boss.
這是不供發表的, 但我不認同我的上司。

Cross one's fingers, 是期盼願望能實現。

I really want to go to the college in Taipei, please cross your fingers for me.

我真的想到這間台北的大學念書,請為我期盼願望能實現。

0 Comment(s)

Leave a Comment

Login to leave Comment