同字不同意思/Homographs

Bound, 當動詞可以是Bound的原形動詞, 成為…的界線、定界限或是Bind的過去式與過去分詞, 捆綁、綁定而不能撤回的:

The walls bound the city on all four sides.
這些圍牆成為城市四方的界線。
I was bound with ropes.
我被繩子捆綁。
I am bound by the contract.
我被合約給綁定了。

Bound, 當形容詞則是正在前往或是肯定的:
This train bound for Nangang station will arrive at 01:30 PM.
這正在前往南港站的列車,將會在下午一點半抵達。
I think that world records are bound to be broken.
我認為世界記錄一定會被打破的。

Axes, 當名詞可以是Ax或是Axe的複數, 斧頭, 或是Axis的複數, 軸線或軸心:

They were cutting down a tree with two axes this morning.
他們早上在用兩把斧頭砍一顆樹。

I don't enjoy solving 3-D coordinate system problems. The X, Y, and Z axes are just confusing.
我不喜歡做3-D坐標系的題目。X、Y、Z軸令人困惑。

Lie, 當原形或現在式動詞可以是撒謊或是平躺:

Please don't lie to me.
請不要對我撒謊。
If you don't feel well, you can try to lie down for a bit.
你身體不舒服的話, 可以試著平躺一下。

A compulsive liar lies all the time.
一個說謊成性的人整天撒謊。
He lies on his couch while doing homework sometimes.
他有時會邊臥躺在沙發上邊做功課。

Lying, 當動名詞也可以是說謊或是平躺:
Lying too much is no good.
說太多謊不好。
Lying down while eating is not good.
邊躺著邊吃是不好的。

Tear,可當眼淚或是撕、扯:

I saw tears in your eyes.
我看見你眼中的淚水。
She tears up her useless paperwork.
她把她無用的資料檔給撕了。

Wound, 當動詞可以是上發條、纏繞或是傷害:

You need to make sure that you watch stays wound lest it stops.
你需確保你的手錶都有被上發條, 以免它停了。
Reckless driving can seriously wound someone.
魯莽的駕駛能嚴重傷人。

Content, 當名詞是內容, 當形容詞是滿足的:

You should go through the content before you pass your judgment.
你在斷定前, 應先看過內容。
I am content with my life.
我很滿足現在的生活。

最後兩個字非同形異義, 但常被搞混, IncidentIncidence

當名詞, Incident是事件, 而Incidence雖是名詞, 沒有事件的意思,而能當事件的發生率。
There was an incident this morning where a kid was kidnapped.
早上有一位小孩被綁架的事件。
The incidence of domestic abuse is on the rise.
家暴發生率正在上升。

2 Comment(s)

  • Edward Yeh(29 Dec 2017 - 13:25)

    You need to make sure that you watch stays wound lest it stops.
    為什麼這裡的wound 發出want的音?

  • English4TW Staff(29 Dec 2017 - 14:40)

    Hi Edward,
    這裡Wound為Wind的過去分詞, 意思是上發條、纏繞, 發音與Wound(傷害)是不同的

Leave a Comment

Login to leave Comment